Other things that warped my mind and gave me comedy as a kid:
- 70s game shows. Watching them as an adult, I was amazing how much they got away with! I particularly loved Hollywood Squares, which featured many of the funniest people of the era (Jonathan Winters, Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reilly, Phyllis Diller, etc.)
- The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts. Also known as “how to insult your friends”. 🙂
- The Muppet Show. Also, Sesame Street. Jim Henson and Frank Oz got me at a young age. I’m somewhere between Fozzie and Rowlph, I think.
- Mork and Mindy (duh).
- M.A.S.H. My father watched reruns every day and I watched with him. Part of me still wants to be Hawkeye.
- Monty Python, Dave Allen and Benny Hill. Thanks to my Anglophile grandmother.
- Johnny Carson and all the comedians I saw there. Thanks to my other grandmother.
- Hee Haw. Disturbing but true. The same grandmother who loved Benny Hill loved this too. Cheesy jokes have their place. 🙂
- Saturday Night Live and SCTV. Thanks to my uncle, I actually saw the first season of SNL.
- Various stand-up comedy shows when we had cable TV.
It’s a wonder my brain didn’t explode before I was old enough to vote… 😀